The Club has also extended the contract of Sporting Director Zoran Krneta along with other front office personnel
CHARLOTTE, NC (Wednesday, October 26, 2022) – Charlotte FC today announced Head Coach Christian Lattanzio has signed a contract extension through the 2024 season with an option for 2025.
“I’ve said many times that Charlotte FC is a special place, not only in Major League Soccer, but around the world of football. I’m excited to sign an extension here in Charlotte as we continue to build our culture and identity,” said Lattanzio. “I’m honored to be the head coach of Charlotte FC and know everyone at this football club is aligned and prepared to move forward into 2023 as we improve on the foundation we have built together this season.”
Lattanzio, who took over midseason for Miguel Angel Ramirez, compiled a 8-10-2 record including a sweep of New York City FC becoming the first expansion team in the modern era to sweep the defending MLS Cup Champions.
“Christian did an excellent job navigating a challenging time for our Club through the second half of the season and we’re delighted to keep him at Charlotte FC,” said Sporting Director Zoran Krneta. “Having consistency from one season to the next is a proven model of success in Major League Soccer, and this extension, along with the options we exercised earlier this month, ensures the core of the team stays intact. Inking Christian to a long-term deal was paramount in our offseason plan to continue building a sustainable football club that is ready to take the next step in 2023 and beyond.”
Additionally, Sporting Director Zoran Krneta, Director of Scouting Thomas Schaling and Head of Analytics & Technical Scouting Lisandro Isei have signed new, multi-year contracts with the Club.
“We’re delighted to have Zoran, Thomas and Lisandro re-sign with Charlotte FC as they, along with Technical Director Bobby Belair, continue to lead our sporting operations and provide the stability that is necessary to build upon the foundation laid in 2022,” said President Joe LaBue. “2023 is an important season for our Club as we introduce MLS Next Pro, continue to grow our Academy and strive to make the playoffs after falling just short this season. Everyone at the Club is grateful for the leadership shown by Zoran and his team through the ups and downs of our inaugural season, and we’re confident we have the right leaders guiding Charlotte FC for the years ahead.”
“Our inaugural season is one everyone across the Carolinas should be proud of and proved what all of us here knew all along: Major League Soccer belongs in Charlotte,” said Owner David Tepper. “The results down the stretch were extremely promising and we’re excited to have Christian build upon the positive momentum we had at the end of the season. Everyone here is committed to improving our squad and is aligned to build a winning organization.”
Charlotte FC is now in the midst of the Club’s first true offseason. Below are key dates for the remainder of 2022. For a full list of offseason dates, follow this link.
- November 7 (Noon ET): Trade window opens: Following a two-month roster freeze, MLS clubs may begin making adjustments to their roster and conduct trades with other MLS teams.
- November 9 (Noon ET): Trade window closes and blackout period begins. Blackout Period begins whereby clubs may no longer sign and/or trade players until the conclusion of the MLS Expansion Draft.
- November 10: Expansion protected lists announced: MLS will release the list of players eligible for selection in the MLS Expansion Draft.
- November 11: MLS Expansion Draft: St. Louis City SC will select up to five players from the eligible list.
- November 14 (Noon ET): Club deadline to exercise options: MLS clubs must submit to the MLS League office which players will have their options exercised, and which players will not have their options exercised.
- November 16 (1:00 PM ET): Free agency opens: Clubs may engage with players, other than their own, that are eligible for Free Agency. Free Agency eligible players are out-of-contract and option-decline players who are at least 24 years old and who have completed a minimum of five service years.
- December 21: 2023 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas: The 2023 MLS SuperDraft will consist of three rounds of player selection. The MLS SuperDraft order is set by taking the reverse order of the club standings at the end of each MLS season, taking postseason performance into account, with new expansion club St. Louis City SC at the top of the order.
Get Ready For 2023
Season Ticket Members will enjoy exclusive perks, access and more, such as:
- Exclusive Member Events & Access Year-Round
- Team Store Discounts & Unique Experiences
- Purchase Priority for Playoffs & Stadium Events