Here’s what you need to know about Charlotte FC’s must-win match against the Columbus Crew tomorrow night.
When and how does the match restart?
- The original match was stopped due to inclement weather at 15:57, while the Charlotte FC goalkeeper was in possession of the ball in his own penalty area.
- The recommenced match will begin in the same spot with a dropped ball to the Charlotte FC goalkeeper at 15:58.
Will the same players take the field in the recommenced match?
- The match will recommence with the same players on the pitch and the same substitutes available from the initial match, with the exception of starting players removed due to injury, illness, unavailability, or a sporting decision and the Goalkeeper Exception
CHARLOTTE FC Starters: Kristijan Kahlina, Guzmán Corujo(C), Anton Walkes, Harrison Afful, Joseph Mora, Brandt Bronico, Ben Bender, Yordy Reyna, Quinn McNeill, Karol Swiderski, McKinze Gaines | Bench: Jan Sobocinski, Kamil Jozwiak, Jordy Alcívar, Daniel Rios, Christian Makoun, Andre Shinyashiki, Derrick Jones, Jaylin Lindsey, George Marks
COLUMBUS CREW Starters: Eloy Room, Josh Williams, Jonathan Mensah(C), Pedro Santos, Steven Moreira, Darlington Nagbe, Lucas Zelarayán, Aidan Morris, Cucho Hernandez, Luis Díaz, Derrick Etienne Jr. | Bench: Milos Degenek, Kevin Molino, Yaw Yeboah, Marlon Hairston, Erik Hurtado, Jalil Anibaba, Evan Bush, James Igbekeme, Will Sands
Are clubs allowed to make substitutions prior to the recommenced match?
- Clubs can make substitutions for sporting reasons prior to recommencement of the match.
- Substitutions made for sporting reasons WILL COUNT against the five allotted substitutions.
- Substitutions made for sporting reasons WILL NOT count against the three allotted substitution opportunities.
- Substitutions made for sporting reasons include any substitution NOT due to an injured, traded, loaned, or otherwise unavailable player.
Below are specific rules as they related to Charlotte FC players
- Former Charlotte midfielder/defender Christian Makoun was traded from Charlotte FC to the New England Revolution. Makoun was not among the starting 11 for the original match. He was a substitute. Due to Makoun trade, Charlotte will have one less substitute in the recommenced match than in the original match.
- Charlotte FC defender Christian Fuchs was serving a suspension during the original match and will be suspended for tomorrow.
- Charlotte FC defender Guzman Corujo suffered a season ending injury earlier this season after the original match against Columbus was postponed. The team may replace an injured starting player with a substitute prior to recommencement of the match. The substituted player may appear on the field at the start of the recommenced match. The team making the substitution will begin the recommenced match with one less substitute available. This substitute will not count against the five allotted substitutions each team has, nor will it count as one of the three substitution windows each team can use as long as the substitution is made prior to the recommencement of the match.
Below is the goalkeeper exception:
If the starting goalkeeper from the original match is unavailable:
- The backup goalkeeper from the original Official Match Roster can be placed in the recommenced match, and the club will not lose a substitution.
- An additional goalkeeper can be added to the substitutes’ bench from the club’s eligible active roster.
If the backup goalkeeper from the original match is unavailable (due to injury, trade, loan, or transfer):
- An additional goalkeeper can be added to the listed substitutes on the bench.
- The additional goalkeeper must be on the club’s eligible active roster.
If the club substitutes the newly added goalkeeper into the match prior to kick-off:
- The goalkeeper originally listed on the starting lineup will be ineligible.
- The club will have one less substitution available.
- To clarify, the club cannot fill the vacant substitute’s position with the goalkeeper who was substituted out of the match.