Full Time

Full Time: Charlotte FC Rollercoaster Match Ends in 3-2 Triumph Over New York City FC


First Half

Lineup: Kahlina, Lindsey, Malanda, Sobociński, Byrne, Westwood, Jones, Gaines, Świderski, Meram, Copetti

Charlotte's night started with Enzo Copetti ending his MLS goal drought in the eighth minute. The goal came off a transition where Ashley Westwood slotted Gaines through in behind, Gaines then squared into the box and Copetti was waiting to tap it in, after a perfectly timed run. Frustrations from NYCFC started brewing early on as a bit of a scrum ensued in the 14th minute which saw Justin Meram and Richard Ledezma receive yellow cards.

Meram made his first start for the Club, and he showed the first glimpse of danger he possesses in the 27th minute when his curling shot dinked off the post. Shortly after the near goal, Charlotte thought they had their second of the night off a Karol Świderski header, but the celebrations were short lived when it was called back for offside. Meram continued to show his experience when he saved a goal on the other side by tracking back and making a crucial interception.

Against the run of play in the 37th minute, NYCFC's Ledezma was able to beat Derrick Jones to a through ball and then slip it to a sneaking Gabriel Pereira who got the better of Jan Sobociński to tie the match. The teams weren't tied for long because two minutes later Meram and Copetti linked up off a corner to take the lead. Copetti secured his brace off an emphatic header and a first CLTFC assist for Meram.

Second Half

Lineup: Kahlina, Lindsey, Malanda (65'), Sobociński, Byrne, Westwood, Jones, Gaines (72'), Świderski, Meram (72'), Copetti

Substitutes: Bronico (65'), Vargas (72'), Diop (72')

Ten minutes after the start of the second half, NYCFC found their way back to level. Some nifty passing in the box was rewarded with a penalty as Adilson Malanda tried to recover to make a tackle but took out Braian Cufré from behind. Santiago Rodriguez stepped up and buried the penalty for his team.

Malanda hurt himself on the play, but would tough it out for a few more minutes, making a crucial tackle on NYCFC sub Talles Magno. After that play Malanda could no longer continue and came off for Brandt Bronico in the 65th minute. Kerwin Vargas and Hamady Diop followed suit, subbing on for Meram and Gaines who both had strong performances. 

It seemed all season that Charlotte couldn't catch any breaks but that break came by way of an own goal in favor of CLTFC in the 74th minute. Świderski won the free kick and delivered a sweeping ball that NYCFC's Ledezma tried to clear but instead flicked back into his own goal. The Crown then had the task of holding on to their lead for the next 20 minutes and succeeded, beating NYCFC for the third straight time.

Charlotte FC look ahead to a round of 32 U.S. Open Cup match on Tuesday before traveling to Atlanta next weekend.