Full Time

Full Time: Charlotte FC Draw Against the Colorado Rapids 2-2 in Gut-Wrenching End


First Half

Lineup: Marks, Afful, Malanda, Tuiloma, Mora, Jones, Bronico, Świderski, Jóźwiak, Copetti, Vargas

Despite Charlotte having most of the ball and getting into the final third more often than the Rapids, it was the visiting side that nearly took the lead in the 21st minute from a flicked on header off a corner that soared over the bar. Charlotte nearly had their own opener shortly afterwards when a shot across goal from Kamil Jóźwiak just grazed wide.

The Crown continued to dominate possession and enter the final third but the Rapids defense stayed compact and disciplined making it difficult for Charlotte to have any clear shots on the goal the remainder the half. In the dwindling minutes of the first half, the Rapids once again threatened off a set piece but George Marks was quick to react to the chaos and managed to scoop the ball before Colorado could take advantage.

Second Half

Lineup: Marks, Afful, Malanda, Tuiloma, Mora (75'), Jones, Bronico, Świderski (75'), Jóźwiak (81'), Copetti, Vargas (90')

Substitutes: Byrne (75'), Lindsey (75'), Gaines (81'), Bender (90')

The deadlock was broken the 54th minute as the Rapids were able to break through on a quick transition that saw CLTFC defender Jospeh Mora isolated in a one versus two against Sam Nicholson and substitute Max Alves. Mora tried to block the passing lane but Nicholson was able to find his teammate open in front of goal. It looked like the rest of the match was going to consist of the Rapids parking the bus and the Crown struggling to find a way to score.

However, Charlotte flipped the script and hit the Rapids with a one-two punch of goals. The first came by way of winger Kerwin Vargas who struck a deflected pass first-time, slotting it into the bottom right corner. Just two minutes later, Charlotte scored the second from a Karol Świderski cross to fellow Pole Kamil Jóźwiak who rose above his marker to head in the goal.

George Marks came up big all night for the Crown and in the 83rd minute he received some extra help from the post as Colorado's Bryan Acosta was just inches away for breaking Charlotte's heart and tying the match for his team. Unfortunately that moment came through in the 91st minute, George Marks rushed out of his goal in what looked to be a routine stop but just couldn't hold on to the ball and it fell to Colorado's Michael Barrios who had an open net to equalize on.

Charlotte FC earn another point at home and face the Columbus Crew next weekend at Bank of America Stadium.